Revised: May 7, 2014
All student laptops, regardless of ownership by the district or by the student/family, must be enrolled in the district’s Mobile Device Management (MDM) system Casper. Casper will be used to ensure student safety and security as well as to automatically deploy and patch software applications.
Casper WILL be used to:
- Provide easy access to educational resources and content.
- Collect inventory information.
- Provision laptops to the necessary settings for PARCC test administration.
- In the event of loss or theft, locate or monitor devices.
- Monitor software licenses and usage.
- Provision and filter content for compliance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) for district owned devices at all times and for student owned devices while on school grounds.
Casper will NOT be used to:
- Activate laptop cameras or microphones remotely.
- Collect personal information about students or their whereabouts.
For district-owned devices only:
The district may, only in the case of a lost or stolen device, activate software to assist in locating the device.